Ideas to Plan a Move on a Budget That Will Get You Home
Everyone has a lot of stress in their life but, in terms of the pure amount of stress, moving is right at the top along with death and divorce. This shows that many people consider moving to be one of the most significant, life-changing events. We’re about to show you the ultimate guide to move on a budget.
Moving represents a transition to a new location, new job, and even a way to start over. Because of this, it is important to take steps to minimize the amount of stress that moving creates.
There are a few common tips that everyone thinks about, such as planning ahead to plan out where items should be packed and creating checklists to keep everything organized.
During this process, many people will find things that they can throw away. Common items that people can discard include old magazines, sports equipment, broken luggage, and even out-of-date clothing. This will make the packing process easier.
Finally, without a doubt, one of the biggest things that people worry about during the moving process is the cost.
How can people make such a large life change without going into bankruptcy in the process? Believe it or not, it can be done.
How Do You Move on a Budget?
Moving on a budget is a challenge; however, there are some steps that everyone can take to make the process cheaper. As mentioned above, it can be helpful to get rid of unnecessary stuff.
One of the ways to do this is to donate it to Goodwill. It can even be claimed as a tax deduction, which is always nice. Other ways to reduce the cost of moving include:
- Move during the offseason, where one article claims the cost of hiring movies is up to “30 percent cheaper”
- Skip the process of buying boxes and go with free ones instead
- Scrap the movers altogether and move with the help of friends and family
Moving on a budget is a challenge but it can be done by getting creative. Try to enlist the help of family and friends to ease the stress of the process.
Talk to other people who have moved recently. They might have other ideas that can reduce the cost of moving.
Unfortunately, moving to another state is a particularly daunting challenge.
What is the Cheapest Way to Move Out of State?
Often, moves involve crossing state lines. This means that making multiple trips with bungee cords and open trunks aren’t typically feasible. Because of this, people are often left scrambling to find ways to make the move in a single trip.
There are ways to get this done cheaply. One of these involves taking the bus, which has multiple benefits, including:
- Bus tickets are inexpensive
- People can take up to 250 pounds of luggage with them
- The driving is left to someone else
Unfortunately, for those with furniture, this often isn’t a viable option. That is where renting a small truck can be helpful. Some of the numerous benefits include:
- People can load furniture onto the small truck
- In some cases, the truck can be upgraded to tow an additional vehicle
- The furniture will arrive at the same time as you
So, why is renting a truck so cheap? You’ll be doing all of the packing, loading, and unloading yourself, saving the cost of movers. Moving out of state can be a challenge. Furthermore, some websites have tools that can help you find a great deal online!
How to Pack for a Move Checklist
Moving is already a significant challenge. This challenge only gets tougher when people unpack at their new home and find that they’ve lost something.
Which box is it in? Was it left behind? Where did it go? Avoid this problem by using a reliable moving checklist. Unsure of where to begin? There is a template to start from!
Weeks Ahead of Time: In the weeks leading up to the move, make sure to:
- Trash or donate items that don’t need to be moved
- Compile a list of businesses and people that need to know about your new address
- Make arrangements for movers or trucks, if they are needed
- Make sure that expensive items have insurance on them
Days Ahead of Time: As the moving date approaches, make sure to review tips and survival guides to moving:
- Start taking down wall decorations, such as pictures, and pack them up
- Carefully package all fragile items together with plenty of padding
- Box up electronics with their respective cords to avoid confusion
- Pack a separate container of toiletries for the first night
As the process starts to unfold, set small goals. Try to unpack one room per person per day. This will make the process less overwhelming. Lastly, do not make the mistake of packing all of the heavy items together.
This will make the box almost impossible to move and could lead to serious injuries.
Can I Get a Personal Loan to Move?
Without a doubt, moving is expensive. Even after following all of the advice above, the process may still be costly. This is where locating a personal loan can be helpful.
Yes, people can qualify for moving loans! Moving loans can cover all forms and styles, including:
- Moving loans to pay for storage during the moving process
- Truck and van loans
- A loan to help with the cost of shipping furniture
- Loans to cover the cost of incidental moving expenses
- Loans for those who need help paying rent when they move or their mortgage
Lastly, there are even ways for people to qualify for cash loans online. There are many benefits to investing in a moving loan.
As one website puts it, a moving loan is an “unsecured loan, which means you don’t have to put your property at risk.”
This can help people spread out the cost of moving over several payments. People don’t need to stress about losing their car or house if they miss a loan payment. Finally, save some stress by considering cash loans online!
Finding a Mover After You Have Funding for Moving
With the money set aside, people can finally figure out the best way to move. Like buying a house, there are many different moving companies available.
Sifting through all of the options can be a challenge. Some factors to consider when looking for movers include:
- Are the movers available for the moving date?
- Are the movers able to transport exotic objects such as fragile pictures and pianos?
- Do they have the equipment necessary to transport the furniture?
- Are they willing to travel the distance to the new home?
- Will the movers be willing to help pack, load, and unload?
These are all important questions to ask. Everyone needs to take the time to find the movers who can do the job correctly the first time. Nobody wants to unpack their items only to find them broken or damaged.
Remember, moving loans and cash loans online can help cover the cost of the move. This money can even help people purchase insurance to protect those valuable items during the moving process!
Finally, don’t hesitate to ask for help. The moving process is tough and everyone deserves a helping hand during this stressful time.
David R is a contributor and writing professionally creating palatable, actionable content in the realm of finance. David was a Medical school student at UNC Chapel Hill with graduation in May 2017. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Washington University in St. Louis with a degree in Biochemistry in 2013. Though David also occasionally delves into other topics of interest, you can find many featured articles on major publications, podcasts and independent websites across the topics of personal finance and money.